A few steps from the Duomo, in Piazza Santo Stefano, there is a particulary Ossuary. Entering the small church of San Bernardino alle Ossa, a long, narrow corridor leads in this small chapel. Rebuilt many times for crashes and fires, this version dated around the end of the seventeenth century has all the architectural details covered with human bones and skulls !! In 1776, it was built a stand-alone front that overlooks the narrow street of San Bernardino, once called "Hold the dead" because it was built on an ancient cemeterial. So, prisoners, sicks, criminals, poors, anyone who could not afford a separate chapel or a place in the cemetery was crowded here and now after centuries retain a place of honor and are popular with visitors and especially photographed by tourists from around the world!
Dove: Chiesa di San Bernardino alle Ossa in Piazza Santo Stefano.